What is the OPALGA+
Student Scholarship Fund?
Young LGBTQ+ people face unique challenges in high school and college. OPALGA+ is committed to providing support to the next generation of community leaders. The OPALGA+ Student Scholarship Fund provides financial support for continuing education of local LGBTQ+ students who have demonstrated service and advocacy to the LGBTQ+ community and/or the larger community. Scholarships are are in varying amounts up to $5,000, paid directly to the college or program the student plans to attend.
TO QUALIFY, STUDENTS MUST MEET THESE CRITERIA:
1. Identify as an LGBTQ+* person or be the child of an LGBTQ+* person or an ally
2. Be a graduating high school senior or completing your first year in higher education and planning to enter the second year. Preference will be given to candidates graduating high school and to those who have not previously been awarded an OPALGA+ scholarship
3. Reside in one of the following suburbs:
- Elmwood Park
- Forest Park
- Melrose Park
- North Riverside
- Oak Park
- River Forest
OR the Chicago zip codes 60707, 60623, 60624, 60639, 60644, or 60651 (Austin, Galewood, North Lawndale, West Garfield Park, and parts of Belmont Cragin, Hermosa, Humboldt Park, and Montclare).
4. Have applied or been accepted to a 4-year or 2-year degree program or trade school/certificate program
APPLICATION MATERIALS INCLUDE:
- Scholarship application
- One essay describing the student’s service/advocacy for the LGBTQ+ community or larger community
- Two or more letters of recommendation from those with knowledge of the student’s service and character
Scholarship recipients will be chosen based on the strength of the essays, recommendations, service and other activities.
OPALGA+ 2022 Student
OPALGA+ awards annual student scholarships for the continuing education of LGBTQ students, the children of LGBTQ parents, or their friends or allies. Please watch this page for updates about our recent 2021 Gala and the scholarship funds raised. In 2020, we awarded $27,000 in scholarships. Total scholarship awards each year depend on the success of our fundraising. Scholarship money is paid directly to the school or institution a student plans to attend. Graduating high school students, or continuing college or trade school students are eligible. We are looking for students who have shown service, activism, and an understanding of the LGBTQ community.
If you would like to donate to the 2022 Student Scholarship Fund, please click on the Paypal button below: