Established in 1989, OPALGA+ is one of the largest LGBTQ+ membership organizations in Illinois. Our diverse membership includes individuals and families in Chicago’s near-west suburbs, Chicago proper and beyond. Members and non-members are welcome at most OPALGA+ events.
To promote full equality for and positive attitudes toward the LGBTQ+ community. To provide a positive community family for our members through social activities, civic engagement, and community activism.
What We Do
• Award scholarship funds for LGBTQ+ and allied students.
• Host many social activities, including monthly potlucks, parties, theater events, parade marches, OPALGA+ Scholarship Gala, and more.
• Participate in community volunteer efforts, including Donut Days, the Greater Chicago Food Depository, and more.
• Participate in local community human rights forums, rallies, and parades.
• Educate the public by providing information and resources at events like Day in our Village.
What We Have Accomplished
• Provide $25,000 in scholarships annually to help LGBTQ+ or allied students pursue higher education
• Helped amend Oak Park’s Human Rights Ordinance to bar employment and housing discrimination (1989)
• Helped secure Domestic Partnership Benefits for Oak Park Village employees (1994)
• Helped secure Oak Park’s Domestic Partnership Registry for same-sex couples — a first-ever achievement in Illinois, and since used as a model for other communities (1997)
• Worked to educate local school administrators to establish a Human Dignity policy for LGBTQ school employees (2009)
• Received numerous awards for community service
• Served as a Gay Games VII sponsor and hosted events in Oak Park (2006)
• Rallied locally and in Springfield for the passage of Civil Unions and Marriage Equality in Illinois (2013)
2022 OPALGA+ Board
TOP ROW (L to R): Betty Alzamora, Wendy Cole, John Becvar, Ron Roman
ROW 2 (L to R): Kelly Soprych, Rylan Martin (Co-chair), Tim Silver, Greg Raub
ROW 3 (L to R): Tom Gull, Jim Gibson, Alisa Ray (Co-chair), Anthony Didato
BOTTOM ROW: Steve Angus
The Oak Park Lesbian and Gay Association:
Stories from the History Making First Decade
Click HERE to view the book.
Quick links to various sections are available
in the Table of Contents -- just click the
RED entries to jump to a page!